Thursday, June 18, 2015

Finding Joy In The Middle Of Chaos

One of the most irritating things a person could say to a parent of a special needs child is, "How do you do it?" Nobody chooses for their child to have challenges; it's just something that life hands to you. I have had this said to me SO often...

          (and if you're reading this & you were one of those people, please know that I don't hold it against you and that I know you said it with the best intentions & from the bottom of your heart)

                                                            ...that it has become harder to smile, shrug, & say "I like to think that it's what any parent would do if they had a special needs child." Sometimes there's a snarky comment in the back of my mind, like, "Zoloft & Jesus!" or "When things get rough, I just take a happy pill. Then I suddenly see unicorns pooping butterflies and belching rainbows. That helps a lot."

But really, I cling to the good moments, pray for a better tomorrow, and countdown till bedtime--literally. And yes, medication really does help you cope. Never be afraid to ask your doctor for something to help you deal with the stress of it all if you need it. It's been said that Autism Mom's Have Stress Similar To Combat Soldiers, but I think it applies to parents of children with many other disabilities, too. We face different challenges in some ways, but it all boils down to more stress, more dependence from your child longer, and probably less than ideal support.

Back to clinging to the good stuff.. These are a few of the memories I cling to when we're having a bad day..


Her piggy face that she loved to make when she was a baby.











The giggles and smiles when she splashes in the pool.





The good moments in the middle of the rough ones... like when she started being silly while recovering from the flu a couple of years ago.



                       

When I rode the tilt-a-whirl with her for the first time this summer. We were spinning so fast, and she looked at me with this huge grin on her face. She cheesy grinned me the whole ride 
and it made my heart melt.  


That's how I do it. I find my Joy in the Middle of the Chaos. It's not always easy, but she's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment