Monday, September 16, 2013

Two Pumpkins & A Guinea Pig

So here's a little something you may not know about me, I am an animal lover. If I had the resources and time, I would put Dr. Doolittle to shame. As of right now, we have 2 guinea pigs, a cat, and the occasional grasshopper or toad (because who doesn't like hoppers??:). The toads and other found pets have a short stay of a couple of days in a temporary cage, but it's still fun.

The guinea pigs are both male and close to 3 years old. They each have their own personality and preferences, and Roo & I love them. I'm not completely sure about her dad, but I *think* he might be a closet guinea pig lover.

The first one we bought from a friend for Roo, and he was such a chunker that I wanted to name him Gus after the little mouse on Cinderella. After about a week of going back and forth on names and talking to her about it & getting no where, I was almost set on Gus. Then she overheard me talking to my mom on the phone about it, and she very clearly chimed in "Moo Moo, yeah. Moo Moo."  I was shocked, Mom thought it was funny, and when I would try to convince her of a different name she would get upset. So, Moo Moo it was.




Moo Moo is a sweetie, but after awhile he became lazy. Almost like he was bored. I did a little online research and it turned out that guinea pigs are a "herd animal" and that they tend to be happier when they have some friends. 

So I turned to Craigslist and found a beautiful pig for sale not to far from me. He came from a home full of kids, so I hoped that he would be more outgoing than Moo Moo because he was still very skittish. 



Well, I was wrong. Moo Moo stepped up to be the dominant pig, and Lucky let him. I've heard awful stories about boars fighting and spraying when they first meet, but it was like these two shook hands and agreed upon it. Moo Moo became outgoing and protective of his new friend to the point that I couldn't look at Lucky without Moo Moo chattering his teeth at me. They're buddies.



The absolute worst part of owning a guinea pig is how often they poop. The second worst part is if they pee on their hay it will make the whole house smell like a barn (same with wood shavings, that's why I don't use them). Occasionally I will call them my little poopers.. but they're pretty good. Moo Moo has made some new friends though...

I bought some soft, cute pumpkins from Petsmart for them to cuddle with and when they do it's adorable, but something got into Moo Moo the other day... I thought for sure they were fighting over food or something. So I grabbed a couple of carrots to split them up. Lucky started to gobble his up, and Moo Moo ignored his. The only thing I could think of was that maybe Lucky had challenged Moo Moo somehow, because 3 year old pigs are way past puberty so that shouldn't be an issue. So I sat down, and the fighting continued.. I looked over & I started to watch them.. 

not my pic, but pretty much my facial expression

Dirty Little Moo Moo was acting like a pig and trying to mount Lucky, and Lucky was like "Don't even.." and then Moo Moo started mounting the pumpkins! I'm not joking! Those poor pumpkins. There were two of them, and a little witch and he would give a little love to all three of them & try again with Lucky.. And this went on for like a half hour! Gotta hand it to Lucky though, he never gave in. So if you ever here me talk about "the pumpkin humper" or "the one who isn't gay," you'll know who I'm referring to. 

1 comment: