Sunday, November 10, 2013

Make-A-Wish Turned Us Down, & I'm Ok With That

If you happen to have liver disease, or you are a parent of someone with liver disease, or maybe you're just really close or involved with someone who has liver disease, there is a great group on Facebook called "Liver". Through this group I've come in contact with a great group of people who know what we're going through  (or at least partially ;).

Some of the kids in this group are younger than mine and, as far as I know, have been through a lot less. I'm not downgrading their situation one bit either--a life-threatening condition is a life-threatening condition.  So when they were actually granted wishes, and I am talking more than one non-transplant, not even listed yet child, I thought, "Huh...." and applied for Roo to get a wish. When I did, I knew it was a long-shot. Ironically, I had just spoken with her GI doctor at liver clinic about her liver's prognosis at this time, and she told me that it was good. Despite that, this particular doctor has known Roo the longest, so I thought I would apply with her listed first. (In case you don't know, the doctor(s) listed are applied to, and ultimately make the decision.)

Make-A-Wish said "No."

Am I devastated? Goodness no. There are plenty of children more sick than mine who will be granted a wish this year.

Am I embarrassed? Nope. With more hospital stays under our belts than I can keep track of, I had every right to apply.

How do I really feel about this?  I guess it's kind of weird, but I went into this with the attitude of "If they say yes, that's great, & if they say no, that's great too, because that means she's too healthy to have a wish granted. Either way, we're blessed." And that's truly how I feel. Despite everything, I am blessed... So Very Blessed.

If you know of a child with a life-threatening condition, and would like to nominate them for a wish, click here:  www.wish.org   Good luck! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment