Sunday, January 19, 2014

Roo's Birth Story: Part I

One day, towards the end of August in 2006, I was checking into the OB ward at the local hospital. I was scheduled to be induced, because, even though I was just at 38 weeks, I was huge. I was handed a gown, got settled in, hooked up to the various monitors, and given the first inducing drug. I was told that it would take about a day for this one to fully take effect and that I wouldn't actually go into labor  until the next day.

The nurses left the room and Terry and I sat there excited, nervous, and chit-chatty.. For about five minutes.  At five minutes later nurses rushed into our room, throwing an oxygen mask on my face, turning me on my left side, yanking out the cervix softening medication, and about giving Terry & I both a heart attack. Apparently, I was already in labor, and the baby didn't like the medicine they gave me. Little Roo's stats went back to normal and everyone calmed down. Then I had a contraction.. A big one. And I didn't feel it. "You didn't feel that?" The nurse asked with raised eyebrows and I shook my head no. In fact, I was perfectly comfortable, sitting up, laughing with visitors until almost the end. 

We called our parents and loved ones to let them know about the change in plans, as we were assured that this baby was coming today. A couple of hours later I was dilated to 4, but still in no pain. Occasionally there was some pressure, like a hug, but nothing hurt. So when my OB/GYN came to see me & offered an epidural, I refused. She was a little surprised, but okay with it once she realized I wasn't trying to be brave. 

An hour or so later, there was some concern for my baby because of her earlier fetal distress. My water still hadn't broken, but my doctor wanted to hook a special monitor up to Roo that could only be done once my water broke. It was decided that it would be in everyone's best interest to break my water manually. Now that was uncomfortable! It didn't really hurt, but felt like a little pinch, and then GUSH.  That gush  definitely makes the top five of the most disgusting things I've ever experienced in my life. There was SO MUCH amniotic fluid. I didn't think it was ever going to stop. 

Things started to progress quickly after that. I still wasn't in any pain. In fact, I couldn't stand talking to people while I was laying on my back, because it was putting a strain on my neck trying to look at everyone.  So my bed was adjusted to a sitting position that left my feet flat on the cushiony mattress that continued to  support my legs and let me sit comfortably. It was an amazing bed.

Nobody wanted to scare me, but the fetal distress had begun again. My doctor informed me that we needed to do an emergency c-section, and that an epidural was no longer an option. I would have to have a spinal tap. I was so scared. People came in to wish me luck and give me love before they wheeled me down to the OR. I didn't realize what a rush there was until the OB/GYN looked at my husband and said, "Dad, why aren't you in scrubs yet??" She nearly ran out of the room to go fetch some.

The last 5 minutes, while things were being prepped elsewhere, I was prepped by being ready to go. Lying flat on my back, the contractions started coming on stronger. And. They. HURT. My sweet pastor was talking to me close to my face, probably praying for me, reassuring me.. I don't even remember. What I do remember is asking her through clenched teeth to please get out of my face, that I was having contractions. Everybody got a giggle out of that, even her.. Wait, except me, I wasn't laughing anymore. :-)

I was so scared as they wheeled me down the hall that my teeth started chattering and I was trembling. I think they thought I was having a medical issue, because several looked at me and asked if something was wrong. I told them that I was just scared and on we rolled. 

Once in the operating room, they were quickly prepping me for the spinal tap.. I was still so scared. I didn't think I could handle the needle. I wish I'd never seen one. I've never done well with blood draws  & 3 trimesters of Childhood Development Classes in high school had given me a healthy respect for any needles or instruments used during delivery. 

I sat on the table and started to cry as they cleaned the spot on my back, and a sweet nurse, with dark wavy hair told me to lean into her and that she would hold me with a big hug while they did the procedure. It sounded like she was praying over me as I cried on her shoulder, and that one moment gave me so much peace. I don't even know what she said, but I felt comforted. I was told to lay still, and after the medication took effect, and a blue screen blocked my view, Terry was allowed into the room. He sat beside me, held my hand, and told me he loved me while the tears silently rolled down my face. He wanted to take pictures, but I guess there were extra hands in the room, because one of the nurses grabbed the camera and said that she would take care of it. She even got a picture of the clock on the wall within a moment of her birth. 

Roo came out crying and covered in white gunk, and even though I have pictures, many of them are sorta of graphic with the blood and gunk, ..and mostly, very personal. I probably won't share many of those with you. Here's a photo of the 3 of us though. 



A previous post may have already told you about Roo's cleft palate, and how it was discovered.. And how she had very low blood sugar, and was needlessly poked over and over again by nurses who were  unexperienced with starting newborn IVs.. but that's the next chapter in this story. I will go over those moments in further detail the next time I write about Roo's big debut. ;-) Thanks for reading & God bless! 


No comments:

Post a Comment